Monday, July 25, 2011

Running In Hot Weather


I don’t mind a hot drink, if it is a Tea in the middle of December. But when it’s my sport drink in my water bottle during a long run in the middle of July, that is not what I look forward to. It has gotten Hot here in middle Tennessee. I was running at Crockett Park here in Brentwood this week and thank goodness for the cold water fountains. Even though I was carrying a drink with me, and even though I started out with Ice in my water bottle bottle, it wasn’t long before I was making sure I was keeping to my rules of running in hot weather.

1) Remember that thirst is not an indicator of dehydration. Once you are thirsty, you are already low on fluids. Indications of dehydration are an elevated heart rate during and after your run and dark, golden-colored urine. After your run, keep drinking fluids until your urine is clear.

2) It takes approximately two weeks of consistent running in the heat and humidity to acclimate to warmer conditions.

3) During your run, drink about 4 to 8 ounces of water and/or sports drink every 15 to 20 minutes.

4) Weigh yourself before and after your run. Drink 16 ounces of fluid for every pound of weight lost. *Important note here... do not use this as a method of weight loss!

5) Apply a sunscreen of SPF #15-30. Make sure that it is a non-drip formula that won't drip into your eyes. My Dermatologist told me anything over 30 SPF is just marketing.

6) Wear sunglasses that filter UVA and UVB rays and/or wear a cap with a visor.

7) Wear light-colored micro-fiber clothing.

8) Run when your shadow is taller than you are, and when the sun is not high in the sky. If you run in the morning, you'll avoid the heat, but may encounter a higher humidity. The air quality is also better in the morning, since ozone levels increase soon after dawn, peak at midday, and then again in the early evening. Times to avoid running are noon till 3pm.

9) Eat salty foods and drinks such as pretzels and tomato juice.

10) If you need to run slower, run slower, and if it is time to stop, please stop. Use your common sense and listen to your body.

One more thing - If you're serious about taking control of your health and fitness, then make sure you take advantage of your FREE Fitness Consultation (an $65 value).

During this consult, you'll receive detailed information on how to get fit and trim that's tailored to YOUR body.

No comments:

Post a Comment