Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Should I run more, or Cross Train more?

I shouldn’t be surprised, I shouldn’t act surprised, I should contain my excitement and act like I knew what I was doing. But isn’t still so exciting and invigorating when what you intended to happen, actually happens?!

Get this: My client was getting ready for his 3rd Ironman Triathlon. That’s a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and a 26.2 mile run… no small feat and this was his 3rd time doing it. I have also completed an Ironman Triathlon and have an understanding of what his needs were and knew exactly what to do with him. Cross Train. Cross Train. Cross Train.



He did 2 things different for this Ironman:

A) Cross Train/Strength Train

B) Not a single 100 mile bike ride. (In his past races he had done 4-6 in preparation)



The Results: A Personal Best by TWO HOURS!



The Testimonial: “Personal Best Fitness was instrumental during the training process for Ironman Switzerland! Being my third Ironman I wanted and needed help with the long road that is Ironman training.

I was able to PR by over 2 hours! and that was because of the core and leg strength that we development in our personal training sessions. I want to thank Christopher, Meg, and Jennifer for all of their help in helping me achieve this goal.”-Will S.



Now don’t get me wrong… there is no substitute for practicing the actual exercise that you are preparing to compete with. Runner’s need to run. Bikers need to bike. Our client was very dedicated to his swimming, biking and running and showed great discipline in that.

However, strengthening the stabilizer muscles and the secondary muscles that support the primary muscles for your exercise movement, will keep the primary muscles from exhaustion and fatigue. Strengthening the muscles fast twitch muscles through cross training (when all you work with your running is your slow twitch muscles) will give you more overall speed and a stronger kick at the finish.

So the easy answer to the question: Should I run more or Cross Train more?

If your running is consistent and disciplined, you will see greater results in your running from a good Cross Training program. Here’s to reaching your Personal Best!

Take your health and fitness to the next level, and take advantage of your FREE Fitness Consultation (a $65 value). During this consult, you'll receive detailed information on how to get fit and trim that's tailored to YOUR body.

There's no obligation and it's totally and completely free. CLICK HERE.


No comments:

Post a Comment